Instruction on how to make potpourri sachet favors.
It’s fun and easy!
We have decided to stop selling them and offer these instruction on how to make them yourself.
Making the sachet bags is not too difficult if you have basic sewing skills, or perhaps you know someone one who does.
These directions are for a plain bag which you could fill with scented potpourri, candy, or other small items.
You could also fill the bags with bird seed to be used as a wedding toss.
The guests can toss the seed and keep the bag as a remembrance of the day.
Make a tag listing the ingredients with a computer and print it out on card stock.
A sewing machine and scissors or a rotary cutter.
White or natural muslin fabric. Any other cotton fabric may be used.
Thread for the sewing machine.
Tulle for the inside bag.
Ribbon or yarn to tie bag closed.
Potpourri to fill the bags.
Measure the fabric and cut it to size with the scissors or rotary cutter.
Use the iron to remove wrinkles and seams.
Ironing will make the whole process easier.
Take any side and fold about 1/4 inch of fabric over on its self along the whole side.
Run an iron along the folded section forming a crease which will help hold the fabric in place while you sew it. If you are skillful enough you can skip the pressing.
If you are very skilled you can make a double fold, then sew the seam. Using the double fold will hide all raw fabric edges.
Sew about 1/8″ from the top of the bag
To prepare for forming the bag lay the fabric on a table with the seam on top or away from you and the raw edges down, and not visible.. You should be viewing the nice clean side with only the stitches showing. If you can see the raw fabric edged you have it upside down. Next fold this piece in half by bringing the left hand edge over to the right hand edge.
You now should have a piece of fabric about 7-3/4″ high by 4″ wide.
Sew a seam down one side and along the bottom, leaving about 1/4″ of raw edge. Leave the top open.
Use a fid or a butter knife to get the corners turned out and crisp.
You should have a bag about 7-3/4 by 4″
• This is plain and that’s fine if you want it that way but it is easy to decorate the bag.
• If you have access to a sewing matching that will embroider you could add a design before the bag is made.
• Cut pieces of fabric to shapes or find fabric which has designs you like. Cut the designs out and use iron on tape to stick the pieces of fabric to the bag.
• You could also use one of the iron on product designed to be printed with an ink jet printer. You choose or make up a design, print it and iron the design onto the bag.
• Use rubber stamps and fabric paint to decorate the bags to math your wedding theme.