They are interesting in that they buzz and hover, squeak and zoom around.
Hummingbirds are not timid and seem to be naturally curious.
Hummingbird feeder cam.
The hummingbirds are not back yet
Please be patient and check back this spring.
Why not try our other bird cam
Usually, in the east we have just the ruby throated hummingbird but in the west there are about 6 including the Roufus.
This is not however the rule as several western hummingbirds have been spotted in the east.
Also if you see a hummingbird with antenna its probably a “hummingbird moth” which are interesting on their own.
Hummingbirds eat small insects and nectar of many different plants as well as the nectar put out by back yard bird feeders.
It has been said that leaving your hummingbird feeder out late in the fall will discourage the ruby throated hummingbird from migrating but this is an urban legend.
They are urged by hormones which are triggered by outside forces when its time to migrate, not by your feeder.
If you feed hummingbirds it is very important to follow the rules.
1. Only use sugar water for hummingbird nectar. 4 parts water to 1 part plain granulated sugar. ( See nectar recipe and guidelines below. )
2. Clean the feeder when you fill it. Follow the manufactures guidelines or use warm soapy water followed by at least 3 complete and thorough rinses to remove all soap residue.
3. Make sure the feeder has fresh nectar. Do not leave a feeder up for weeks with out cleaning.
4. Don’t put the feeder in front of a window. Hummingbirds may not see the glass and could be injured by flying into it.
Leave the feeder out late in the season than you think. The hummingbirds know when to migrate. You will not do the hummingbirds a favor by removing a source of food when they need it the most.
5. Do not attempt to tame or train your hummingbirds.
6. Consider using a hummingbird feeder that does not have a perch. There have been numerous papers written concerning perching torpor where a hummingbird takes in very cold nectar in the morning.
Hummingbird nectar recipe.
1. Take 4 parts clean fresh water.
2. Add 1 part granulated table sugar.
3. Mix in small sauce pan and bring to boil.
4. Cool before using. Store in refrigerator.
- DO NOT ADD: